The other night while shuffling through my mental rolodex – yeah, rolodex for those who remember the telephone – of dinner recipes I nodded off like a sleepy toddler. Bored to tears with my usual offerings I decided to channel my inner romantic and craft a meal of new love inspiration. I don’t know about you, but new love is like the viking’s siren to my inner chef. In the early days I plied my beau with such an array delicacies that we had to wind it back big time in avoidance of a new and much larger waisted wardrobe. That being said I still, every now and then, want to wow his taste buds in memory of the days of yore. Unfortunately it was late and I was feeling lazy so I had to make due with what I had on hand.
Having perused the contents of the fridge I realized I was going to have to dig whole lot deeper and open the freezer. Now I’m not one for buying pre-made items, but every now and then I see something that catches my eye so I purchase and pop it in the freezer for a later date. There in the icy depths I found shrimp, some lovely artisanal ravioli and leftover bacon from my twice yearly attempt to make breakfast for the family… that is a whole other post since no one likes to eat the same thing in the morning which drives me crazy. Awesome! I knew exactly what to make and it’d be quick and easy. Here’s the basics.
Shrimp BLT Alfredo and Spinach Ravioli (Serves 4)
- 1 package spinach ravioli
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 6 slices of bacon
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium tomatos diced
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese, chopped cilantro and red pepper flake (optional)
- Toss shrimp with about a tablespoon of olive oil and the chili powder. Place in fridge for 1-4 hours.
- Prepare Ravioli to package instructions (cook al dente) and set aside.
- Slice bacon into 1/2 strips.
- Put large sauté pan on medium high, add ½ tbsp. olive oil and bacon. Cook for about 3 mins stirring regularly.
- Add shrimp and garlic cook for about 1 mins.
- Turn down to medium addd diced tomatoes and cook for another 2 mins. Stir regularly.
- While shrimp cooks whisk together milk and flour.
- Remove shrimp and tomatoes from pan.
- Add chicken stock to pan. Bring to simmer.
- Whisk milk mixture into chicken stock. Turn down to low and stir until thickened.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Return shrimp mixture and ravioli to pan and mix. Let simmer at low for 2 minutes.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese, fresh cilantro and red pepper flake.